General Election Information

My Vote Wisconsin Opens in new window

Wisconsin Voter Photo ID Rules

New voter registration form

New Absentee Ballot Request Form

Acceptable Photo IDs

The following photo IDs are acceptable for voting purposes, and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the November 8, 2022 election):

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
  • Military ID card issued by the U.S. Uniformed Services
  • A U.S. Passport Book or Card

The following forms of photo ID are also acceptable for voting purposes:

  • A Certificate of Naturalization (that was issued not earlier than two years before the date of the election)
  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin
  • A driver license receipt issued by the Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days from date issued)
  • An identification card receipt issued by the Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days from date issued)
  • A Veteran Affairs ID card (must be unexpired or have no expiration date)
  • A photo ID card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college, or technical college that contains the following:
    • Date the card was issued
    • Signature of student
    • Expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance
    • The university or College ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment, such as a tuition fee receipt, enrollment verification letter, or class schedule.

* An acceptable photo ID is not required to include a current address. The photograph must reasonable resemble the elector, the elector's name must conform to the name on their voter registration; conform does not mean that it must be identical. If the ID has an expiration date, it must meet the expiration requirements listed by the Wisconsin Elections Commission.

If you do not have a valid Wisconsin Driver License or State ID you can receive a free State ID from your local DMV if you specifically request a free ID for voting purposes. If you do not have a birth certificate, the DMV can help with that, too. Please contact your local DVM for more information. For more information about Voter Photo ID, visit the Bring It to the Ballot website.

Absentee Voting

During in-person absentee voting, voters must present photo ID just like on Election Day. In-person absentee voting can begin the second Tuesday before the election and must end at 5 p.m. or the close of business, whichever is later, the Friday before the election. In-person absentee voting hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Submit Request by Mail

Download and complete the Absentee Ballot Request (Form EL-121) and mail it to the City Clerk at ~ W240 N3065 Pewaukee Road, Pewaukee, WI 53072. The application must be received by the clerk no later than 5 p.m. on the Thursday before the election in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed to you.

Submit Request by Email or Fax   

A voter may request that a ballot be sent to them by sending an email or fax to 262-691-1798. This request must be made no later than 5 p.m. on the Thursday before the election in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed to you. 

You will also need to provide a copy of your acceptable photo ID with your request. If you have not previously provided a copy of photo ID, photo ID must accompany your first application by mail.  More information about the photo ID requirement is available at the Bring It website.

When voters request an absentee ballot by mail, they must include a photocopy of their photo ID with the request, or the ballot cannot be mailed. However, voters who are “indefinitely confined” because of age, illness, infirmity or disability and voters in care facilities do not need a photo ID. Instead, the absentee witness verifies the voter’s identity. Active members of the U.S.

Armed Services who are away from home are also exempt from the photo ID requirement.

Deadlines for Returning Your Absentee Ballot and Instructions

Uniform Instructions for Absentee Voters

In-Person Absentee Voting at the Municipal Clerk's Office

Download and complete the Absentee Ballot Request (Form EL-121) or fill one out at the Clerk's office. You will need to show your acceptable photo ID when voting by in-person absentee ballot.

There are exceptions for military and overseas voters. 

The facts about Military and Overseas Voting in Wisconsin

Please contact the clerk’s office for more information (262) 691-0770.

Habla Espanol?